Tuesday, August 18, 2009

One of the best nights of my life!!

No words can possibly explain the show that I saw last night. It is going to take a while to get over this one. The best show I have ever got to see in my life hands down. My heart was broken when Frank Zappa passed away at the end of '93. At first it was exciting to know that in years to come the Zappa Family trust would be putting out some new material because there is so much material stashed away in the vault, but I never expected to get to experience his music in a live form. There were a couple of times in the past where we saw 'Look People' do a version of 'We Are Not Alone' and that was great.. and then John put a tribute together with Regina artists like Jack Semple and Dan Siljer and it was good.. but to experience A full live show by his son playing with a band that has musicianship to the like of the original Zappa musicians back in the day, was something that was impossible to imagine. Of course I saw the ZPZ video when it was released and it was great, but I thought that was a one time thing.

The people that experienced the trip with me was Ahmad, John, Dallas and Tony. We had a blast both on the drive up and back. Maybe I can make a separate blog posting about some of the stuff that spewed out of our mouths, I will leave it up to one of the other guys to comment about those things if they desire. But here is a point form of some of the things that happened on the same day that was other than the show:
- tour of Tony's new house
- tour of CBC in Saskatoon
- The bike cop "getting out of the car"
- the toilet that almost sucked me back to the infinite beyond
- Ass Gravel Porch Box

Waiting outside in line felt like an eternity. We got inside and while I was enjoying a few moments of the security guard feeling me up, I noticed there were signs all over the place stating absolutely no cameras at all. This made me feel better about forgetting to take my camera with me (hindsight though .. taking pictures gets in the way of simply enjoying the moment). While others whaffled to the bar or to the merch booth, I said screw that and I went straight to the front of the stage and stood there. Since it was all standing room only and no seats, I wanted to make damn sure I got the best spot so I can see everything and not be disturbed by any people who may care to talk and drink more instead of enjoying the reason why they spent money to go into the bar in the first place.



So there I was, right in front of the middle of the stage, where soon, Dweezil is going to come out on stage, and I am going to feel like a young teenage boy having my first rock show experience.

They come out on stage and my heart felt like it skipped a beat, They start the show with "Apostrophe" and tears start wellin' up in my eyes. I am trying to keep it cool and enjoy the show, but they crack into "Village of the sun" and a couple of other classics from the Roxy shows that Zappa did in '73 and I loose it.

The show was simply amazing, the best thing I have every seen in my entire life. I could easily never go to another show again. Nothing can touch that show. There were others that came close, and there are artists like Look People, Wax Mannequin or the Rheostatics that will always be my favorite bands to see live. But this show simply blew anything I have witnessed out of the water. Of course a lot of it had to do with the fact that I came to terms with the thought of never seeing Zappa live.

Over halfway through the show, I summed up the courage to ask Dweezil if I could take pictures with my cell phone. Also in the process while I was sticking out my hand just to get his attention he gave me a good firm " Good Mornin-Ahmad style" hand shake and said "sure! go ahead"



He then said he wasn't ready for that one, and posed for another.



Throughout the show everyone in the band got a chance to show their skills and everyone's solos where spectacular.

Ben Thomas also did some great interpretive dancing for Black Page and Purple Lagoon. Hilarious stuff.



There where so many surprises for me during that show, I never expected them to do 'Willie The Pimp' and during the show, Dweezil brought up a kid on stage and taught him a bit of the solo. Good Stuff!



Dweezil gave the audience the choice of More Trouble Everyday, I'm The Slime and Peaches as options. I screamed my heart out for Peaches and I am happy that it did go that way. Other bucket of tears came though me as I was experiencing one of my fave Zappa tunes being played by Dweezil himself no more than a foot in front of me. It was awesome.



Dallas nabbed the set list from the stage at the end of the show and we noticed that they were originally planning going to end the show with 'More Trouble Everyday". As much as I enjoy that song as well, I am soo happy that they ended with Peaches En Regalia.



There were sooo many highlights in that show. It would have been nice to have a tape of it. But to sum it up somewhat, here is the set list:

Apostrophe
Montana
Village Of The Sun
Echidna's Arf of You
Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
Black Page (1)
Black Page 2
Bobby Brown Goes Down
Magic Fingers
Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy
Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
Wind Up Workin a Gas Station
San Ber'dino
Inca Roads
Broken Hearts Are For Assholes
Bamboozled By Love
Pound For A Brown (with band solos and improvs)
Zomby Woof

Encores (minus scheduled encore: More Trouble Everyday)
-------------
Purple Lagoon
Cosmik Debris
Willie The Pimp
Peaches En Regalia

We got to briefly meet Dweezil and other members of the band, they signed our Jersey's and Dweezil took a quick snap with John and I.



I was like I was a kid who got to meet Santa Claus.

The whole show was quite the emotional roller coaster for me that night. And was so filled of joy and happiness. The only days in my life that can top the emotional happiness that was felt on this evening are when my kids were born and the days I got engaged and married to my best friend.

I think what I enjoyed most about the show is that you can tell that everyone was enjoying what they were doing, having smiles on their faces and gave their best! .. I even heard that Joe Travers was sick at the end of the show but man .. with his playin' you couldn't tell. As a result we were not able to meet the vaultmeister himself at the end of the show.

I hope that Dweezil will come by here again in the future, and I would really like to see him perform some of his own material sometime.

So Dweezil, if you happen to be reading this, I would like to request that you perform "Shampoohorn" live. That would be be the bomb!

1 comment:

Sound_Sculptor said...

I have seen two ZPZ shows as well as two FZ shows. Reading your blog reminds me of my experience at the first ZPZ show I saw. Vancouver 2006.
With Terry Bozzio and Steve Vie. I could have died happy after the very first song. And then it just kept getting better. And when Dweezil came down to the front of the stage and started talking to people after the show I just couldn't believe it.