Thursday, November 06, 2008

10 wonderful years

10 years ago today I met my better half Leanne.

My friend Darryl was wanting to go out and whoop it up, so we went out to the State that evening. After we left, I was tired and wanted to go home, but Darryl was still wanting to go out and forced me to go to the Lazy Owl. (Which in fact was the only time I have EVER been there when it was a regular bar night and there was no band performing)

Now honestly I could be wrong in the details of where we were before, whether it was the State, or it might have just been bushwakkers, and I know that other people were with us as well. But what I do remember is that I was "responsible" for Darryl because he was still wanting to "party" and was too liq'd up to drive at that moment.

Anyways when I got to the owl. I saw a girl by the name of Marie who I hadn't seen for a couple of years previously. I was good friends with her brother in the high school days and knew her that way.

Her friend that was with her had these eyes that made me melt and gave me the feeling that I just shot a whole bottle of whiskey. Her hair was braided to two pig tails and was wearing a green shirt and jeans. She looked very earthy and I thought she was wayyy out of my league. However I noticed her standing by herself and her friend Marie either went out dancing or to the bathroom or something. She seemed to have a look on her face that said she didn't really want to be there either. I fighting with myself on whether I should bother talking to her on not, so I thought what the hell, got her attention from across the room and got her to come over to my side.

The small talk that evening started about how each of us knew Marie and another friend Lynnai which then escalated into finding more about each other and discussing everything from our interests, likes, dislikes, food, music .. you name it.. to even who could make better cookies, her or my sister. We seemed to click on everything And we just sat there and talked for the rest of the evening till the friends that we were with wanted to go.

We exchanged numbers and she mentioned that she was going to her parents farm for the weekend but would like to get together when she gets back.

Those next couple of days seems like an eternity for me. It sounds retarded, but I kind of new after that first night that I was going to be in for a good relationship... well at the time I would have never thought that I would still here ten years later, married with two wonderful kids and blogging about this (especially since there were no blogging sites).. but I never felt like I clicked with anyone on so many things by just being completely true to myself and being me. I never had to change anything, or act any differently in any way at all.

Anyway. Our first "date" consisted of me going over there with Brett and watching the "Lungbutter - Eclips" TV special that I finished editing a couple of days prior. And then Leanne and I went to Humpty's for coffee and cake, and talked endlessly the entire evening, had a great time right up to the Mcdonalds breakfast in the morning before going to work. I have never felt so twitterpated in my life previously. I was so dead at work, but then at the same time never felt so alive!

Everything just worked. And it is still as solid as ever right now and I love her more every minute.

Thanks for 10 wonderful years of memories Lily. You're the best!

5 comments:

Amy said...

That's so sweet. You guys are perfect for each other. Congratulations on 10 years.

ColReid said...

I remember when you told me you were going to marry her. You were afraid that I was going to think you were stupid. And I said, "of course you're marrying Leanne, she's the one you're supposed to marry!

Gilly said...

Yeah .. I guess I was worried because how everyone thought I was stupid for when I almost marrying Skeletor. But that really would have been stupid.

Bert said...

By the Power of Greyskull!!!!

Congrats on 10 years together. I could only be so lucky to find someone that could put up with me for that long. haha.

Maria said...

I think I am going to toss my lunch. (insert finger down throat here)